Saturday, May 19, 2007

Insects, yummy!

I know, most people hate insects. Many people are even scared of them, or consider them gross. But did you know many insects are edible and not only that, are very tasty?
I first ate insects about two years ago. A couple of colleagues and friends of mine had gone to a survival course in Belgium, where they'd collected wild plants, mushrooms and insects to eat, and learned what to select. Then, at work, they prepared mealworm pancakes & dates stuffed with crickets for the rest of us. It took a few moments to get used to the idea, but it was actually quite tasty, tasted a bit like nuts.

Then, since I work at a history theme park and it's quite likely people in prehistory ate insects as part of their diet as well, I regularly got some mealworms in to allow people to taste them. It's quite fun to see people think about eating them, some grossed out by the idea, but many others fascinated and willing to give it a try.

In summer of 2005, I went to this same survival/nature food workshop, had a great time! You can find some more pictures at http://www.barefootwitch.com/eten2.html And yes, it was quite good.

And just a few days ago, one of my friends gave me a really cool book for my birthday, Creepy Crawly Quisine. It's full of delicious recipes with many kinds of insects I've never tasted yet! The only problem is that I don't know where to find most of them; I live in the Netherlands and most of these bugs don't live here... I get my mealworms and crickets from the pet shop but I have no idea where to purchase the rest. Ah well, I'll find a place!

Here's a bit more information about this book: http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/special/creepy/

1 comment:

Paul Penafiel said...

Eeew!, man that's gross but I'm sure it's nutritious. When I was living in Asia I remember eating fried grasshoppers, they looked like grasshoppers may be they're called locus, anyway it didn't taste that bad.

Have you ever seen that show called Survivor Man or something like that where a guy is left all alone in a remote location like in Amazon and he's trying to survive for 7 days will little or no food, so sometimes he eats slugs for breakfast just to stay alive, and he always stays alive. Simple Amazing.

Cool blog.