Saturday, November 27, 2010

If I were cold, I'd wear shoes

I walk barefoot and I frequently get comments like 'Oh, that must be cold!' and 'Oh, that must hurt!'. No, if I were cold or if it hurt, I wouldn't do it, d'uh! Also, if you looked any further at all, you'd see that I am not tense and shivering, and that I step confidently instead of tenderly picking my way. On Twitter there are also often comments about how it must be cold when people see a person walking or running barefoot, or even, now it's winter, in sandals or slippers. Why? What's with people to make them assume that just because *they* are easily chilled everyone else must be too? Why think that if we were cold, we would not have worn warm, closed shoes? Why, even, call us crazy idiots?

If I see someone do something different, I start with the assumption that people are *NOT* crazy. If I see someone with stiletto heels or 3" platforms, my first thought is that they've learned to walk on those stilts, and I'll keep that thought unless and until I clearly see them stumbling and tripping. If I see someone wearing a mini-skirt or shorts in winter, I assume they've got high metabolism and are not cold, unless and until I see them shiver or hear them complain. I could list a dozen more examples, not limited to footwear or clothing either, but it all comes down to the same thing. Different doesn't have to be stupid or dumb or uncomfortable. Different strokes, different folks. I wish more people would give others the benefit of the doubt, just because it's your way and perhaps the way of the majority of the people, that doesn't mean it's the only way. Next time you see something different, don't be so self-centered and look further before you flap out your comment. Thank you :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Walking barefoot in public is an indicator for the courage to be different and for the willingness of other people to accept this. I'm often asked about my bare feet when I'm barefoot at work or in winter. When I explain that walking barefoot usually and everywhere is part of my life, most people respect that, and some even admire me.